Sunday, February 24, 2013

Week 7



Week 7 has passed like one minute as I have been extremely busy with implementing the project. First of all, I should thank my dearest classmates for their help with organizing and carrying out this Reading on-line project. So, my special gratitude and great respect is to Alina-Valeria Petcu, Izela Habul-Šabanović, and Mariam Kanla. They joined the project themselves and involved their students into the project. My dear friends and colleagues, I am more than happy that I have met you here on the pages of our course.
I should say that my students enjoy participating in a project and they ask me to organize such projects as often as it’s possible as they use English in a real context. All in all there are 141 participants in the project now. Among them we are honoured to collaborate with 6 ESL instructors from different Universities (Ukraine, Russia, USA, Burkina Faso, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Romania). There are 5 discussion threads in Nicenet and students communicate very actively with each other. Now their task is to read a story and share own reading experience. Hope, we’ll cope!
As for our weekly reading materials, as usual, I have found a lot of new resources, ideas, as they are very thought-provoking, interesting and inspiring. I am greatly surprised with the number of our messages in Nicenet, it is growing from week to week, as we are becoming more and more devoted friends, colleagues and technology users. The best outcome of this week for me is creating a Wallwisher and learning about using the service in the classroom. The recommended resource is full of ideas (as everything by Svetlana Titova) how be efficient with just one Internet service.
As for leaner autonomy, here I should cite the words by Thomas Carruthers: “A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary” and I fully agree with the main idea of the article Interconnections: Learner Autonomy – Teacher Autonomy that there is a certain connection between teacher’s and learner’s autonomy.
This week I have found my project reviewer, it’s a nice girl from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Izela. Her posts always catch my attention on the pages of our Nicenet discussions, she is a very talented and creative teacher.
With hope for further collaboration, Nataliia

4 comments:

  1. Dear Nataliia,
    I am happy that you have gained acceleration in your Reading on-line project. I wish I and my students had a chance to join your project. In Turkey, the second semester will not start until the first week of March, so I won't have any students until then. But I wish to come together in another project as I belive we can keep in touch even after the end of the course.
    Best,
    Hülya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nataliia,

    Many thanks for your kind words! I am more than happy and honored to have had this unique oportunity to meet you online and start exchanging thoughts, experiences and ideas with you in our Nicenet discussions within this course. Your posts are always so valuable with plenty of useful suggestions and resources you are always willing to share with us. I learned so much from you and I am so grateful for that.

    I am glad to announce that my students accepted to cooperate with yours in your project Reading On-Line Blog and I hope they will start exchanging their comments very soon.
    Also I look forward to joining you in peer reviewing of our projects, and I am proud and honored to have you as my peer reviewer.

    As I can see from your post, you have already achieved a lot with your project and I sincerely congratulate you on that. Keep up with your successful work!

    I really like the quote by Thomas Carruthers, that you mentioned in the end: “A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary”. Indeed, we are there just to make an incentive in our students for their own learning.

    Respectfully,

    Izela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Nataliia!

    I cannot express how excited I am about your final project. The collaboration you have instigated among English language learners from a variety of different countries is inspiring. I'm so happy to hear that they are actively participating and using the language for real, meaningful purposes on Nicenet. This is amazing! You must feel a great sense of accomplishment.

    Your appreciation for Wallwisher/Padlet gives me a sense of accomplishment. You are such a tech savvy and talented individual. I'm happy to know that I can introduce you to a NEW tool that you can incorporate into your own context.

    Thanks for continuing to do outstanding work in the course!

    Best,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear friends,

    Thank you for commenting, help, support and warm words about my modest work.

    I am sure we'll organize a lot more new projects together.

    Best wishes, Nataliia

    ReplyDelete